- To Encourage…
Native children and community members to read for pleasure
Indian communities with opportunities to engage in and communicate about reading
Library use at tribal schools
To Help Improve…
Tribal school library collections
Tribal school librarians!
- Sherman Alexie
- Lurline Wailana McGregor
- Joseph Bruchac
- Louise Erdrich
- Cynthia Leitich Smith (external site)
- Joy Harjo (external site)
- Larry Loyie (external site)
- Tim Tingle (external site)
Here are five recommended titles for teenagers by Native authors:
1. "The Birchbark House" by Louise Erdrich.
2. "Skeleton Man" by Joseph Bruchac.
3. "Rain is not My Indian Name" by Cynthia Leitich Smith.
4. "Sees Behind Trees" by Michael Dorris.
5. "The Spirit Line" by Aimme and David Thurio.