Lumina Foundation's grantmaking is primarily proactive in nature. In other words, a large majority of our grants are awarded to partners solicited by the Foundation based on unique capacity or position to leverage large-scale systemic change. We have allocated a modest amount of grant monies for unsolicited inquiries to encourage innovative ideas that relate to our strategic portfolio. We also fund open challenges through innocentive.com to engage creative individuals through open innovation in areas that would transform higher education in America.
Lumina's outcomes-based approach focuses on helping to design and build an accessible, responsive and accountable higher education system while fostering a national sense of urgency for action to achieve Goal 2025. Our current funding is directed to advance the following strategies:
- Build a Goal 2025 Social Movement
- Mobilize Employers, Metro Areas, and Regions to Increase Attainment
- Mobilize Higher Education to Increase Student Success
- Advance State Policy for Increased Attainment
- Advance Federal Policy for Increased Attainment
- Create New Models of Student Financial Support
- Design New Higher Education Business and Finance Models
- Create New Systems of Quality Credentials
For more information about these strategies, see Lumina Foundation's Strategic Plan 2013-2016 »
Examples of current proactive work include:
- Exploring New Models of Student Financial Support. Currently seeking white papers from invited participants.
- Exploring Next-Generation College Preparation and Access Networks
- Defining and Improving Learning Outcomes. Learn more about The Degree Qualifications Profile.
- Innovative Approaches for Increasing Adult Degree Completion. Learn more about our Adult Degree Completion work.
- Credit When It's Due: Recognizing the Value of Quality Associate degrees